Athletic Coaching License Requirements
Students in the MFC Athletic Coaching Education Program should plan to complete this program over four semesters. This program is designed for students (non NYS Teachers) to meet the New York State Education Department (NYSED) requirements to coach in NYS secondary schools public or private (grades 7-12).
1. Complete the following mandated Millard Fillmore College Coaching Education Program courses: (14 Credits)
- MFC 209 - NYSED First Aid & CPR for Sport Coaches - 3 credits - Hybrid class w/labs
- MFC 222 - Health Sciences Applied to Coaching - 3 credits - Classroom class
- MFC 230 - Theory and Techniques of Coaching - 3 credits - Classroom class
- MFC 299 - Philosophy, Principles and Organization of Athletics in Education - 3 credits - Classroom class
- MFC 355 - Capstone: Coaching Seasonal Plan Development - 1 credit - Classroom class
- MFC 361 - Leadership, Teaching & Student Management for Coaches - 1 credit - Hybrid class w/labs*
*Provides all NYSED trainings/workshops listed below in section # 2
2. Completion of the following mandated New York State Education Department training and workshops:
- Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse and Maltreatment New York State Mandated Reporter Center no fee required - online training
- Training in School Violence Prevention and Intervention - Project SAVE Safe Schools Against Violence in Education Act - On-line training - fee required
- NYS Education Department Fingerprint Requirement- fee required www.IdentoGo.com
- DASA - Dignity for All Students Act www.gse.buffalo.edu/alberticenter/dignity - fee required - Classroom training: Harassment, Bullying and Discrimination Training
3. As of July 2009,, while coaching license certificates must be processed online through the TEACH system via New York State Department of Education
- All MFC and NYSED mandated coaching courses, training and workshops must be completed.
- You must have an offer of employment (a school district recommendation) in order to be issued any type of temporary coaching license.
- Contact Joe Muscarella - the program director via email (email@example.com ) for specific directions on how to use the TEACH system. (step-by-step instructions will be provided)
- NYSED makes the final decision as to who is
eligible to earn your temporary coaching license based upon information
supplied by applicant. - ($50.00 fee per sport)